Wednesday, 6 April 2016

D is for Diet. Get fit or die trying. #atozchallenge

Get fit or die trying

D is for Diet.

I've studied some nutrition in the various courses I've done over the years. While I'm no expert, it's safe to say there is a lot of conflicting information. One thing I know for sure is that a healthy diet will improve your own health and the health of the entire planet. 

Some basic truths.

Every single body will gain weight if it consumes more calories than it requires. 

If you aren't eating right your body will show you. Pharmacy and supermarket aisles are full of products that relieve symptoms of digestive problems. Bloating, irregular bowels, mint for bad breath. 

Diet is often the overlooked cause of many dis-eases including headaches, fatigue, skin conditions, immune disorders, aches and pains.

Good eating requires good planning. In season, fresh or closest to  natural is best.  

Ultimately the best diet for you is one that works for you.  
This can get tricky in a household where different people have different needs. Nobody enjoys cooking separate dinners.



Moderation and variety is key but don't beat yourself up for having an off day, week or lifetime of bad choices. There is always the next meal to get right.

Overeating is a serious problem that requires a complete dedication of self healing to overcome. Unlike alcohol or drugs it isn't an addiction you can abstain from. Start by drinking more water, have one healthy meal, one healthy day...

If you are fortunate enough to have no adverse effects or allergies to certain foods a balanced diet will include starches, protein, carbohydrates and essential fats... and plenty of water.




For high protein fans I love making a giant omelette full of chopped veggies. They are so versatile and delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with salad, chillies and sardines or sprats for an extra protein hit if you like them.

For you starch lovers... the buzz around the net at the moment is the potato cleanse. Anti starch? Rinse and cool your rice for several hours before eating it.

It is important to recognise bad habits. Choose to learn to live with the consequences of them or change them, with help if necessary.  

If you suspect something is not good for you try eliminating it for a week or so. Note how you feel both before, during and after adding it back into your diet again.   


While breakfast might be touted as the most important meal of the day, if you eat late, wake up late or aren't active till later in the day... it's ok to skip breakfast. 

If you want to stick to what you know or prefer to try every latest food and diet fad, listen to your body when you eat (not the tv.) 

Pay attention to how your body deals with the ingestion, digestion and elimination of every meal. 

Healthy poo means a healthier you.  If what you eliminate is healthy, then you are contributing to a healthier planet too... 



***


I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 









2 comments:

  1. Yay I tried to unclick the can't find the comment box but here it is (and I think I just extra clicked).

    If I tend to have a bad diet, it's more than I don't eat enough fat or that I overeat, my general food choices aren't bad when I'm thinking about it! The danger comes if I stop thinking...

    Mars xx
    @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mars my comment problem is driving me nuts... I cant even see them half the time - I'm sure i will work out why sooner or later. Yes not thinking is why keeping a food diary is a good idea to get back on track again... and why eating in front of the tv is bad for me... I can eat dinner for four in front of the tv.... and still not feel satisfied :D

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.